Monday, October 6, 2008

A Story

I forgot to tell a cool story from last Saturday night.

First, let me go back a couple of months to the Chalk Creek Road Race in July. If you remember from my race report, there were a lot of animals on the road that day. Mainly cattle. After the turn around, and as I was headed back to the finish line, I had to maneuver my way through a big ol' cattle drive. Once through all the cows I started thinking that I should warn some of the other racers who were still heading toward them (the cows). A few groups of guys passed me before I was able to shout out something to the effect of "Cows in the road ahead!" to some guys. I think I only said it the one time. Usually, when I shout something to someone going the opposite direction they either don't hear me or they shout back, "What?"

Fast forward to last Saturday night. I was standing in line to get food at the UCA banquet when some guy comes up to me and asks me if I was at the Chalk Creek race. I told him yes. He then proceeds to thank me for warning him about the cows. He says that because of what I'd said, he was the only one in his group who was prepared to plow through, and the others got stuck waiting for the cows to move. How awesome is that?

The most amazing part to me is the fact that he probably only saw me for about 3 seconds that day. We were probably each going about 25 mph - in opposite directions. Plus, I was wearing my kit with my helmet and sunglasses on. Then, nearly three months later, he was able to pick me out of a crowd all dressed up with makeup on and my hair done. That is amazing! I couldn't do it. I'm just now starting to be able to recognize my own teammates when they're dressed in something besides their kits. Not only must this guy be a total visual learner, but is an awesome listener. I'm sorry that I didn't ask his name.

0 comments: