Saturday, October 18, 2008

Bonk!

Today's group ride ended up being a couple ride. By "couple" I mean there were only a couple of us. I rode with Philpot. He's a triathlete who currently rides a mountain bike. He's picking up his road bike next week and will rock on it. He's already super fast on his heavy mountain bike.



When we met up this morning, we had big goals for the day. We were both expecting to ride for about 3.5 - 5 hours. So as we set off, we planned to ride around Utah Lake. We headed west out of Orem and rode to Saratoga Springs. By the time we got there, my rear end was telling me that the 100 mile ride was going to be a little too much. Besides, I had started thinking how long it was going to take us and about how much food I had brought with me. Not enough food for the amount of time, that's for sure! We weren't pushing any hard pace, just nice, easy, conversational-type riding. So we weren't going anywhere fast.

So we changed plans and headed north on the Jordan River Trail towards Highland. Plan B was to climb Traverse Ridge. But again, by the time we got to the base of the climb we decided we wouldn't feel guilty if we didn't do it. It's the off season after all, we reasoned.



So we headed back toward home.

After saying goodbye to Philpot, I started to realize that I did not have enough fuel in the system. We had been out for almost three hours and had covered 50 miles, and all I had eaten was a Luna bar. For those of you who know, I don't eat a lot lately. I've lost a lot of weight and it's not on purpose. There's just not a lot of stuff that I'm willing to eat. I don't think I had enough in the tank to start off with, and I certainly did not eat enough on the ride. Looking at my stats, I burned 1900 calories and I ate 210 calories. No wonder I came home and crashed!


Once I got some food into me, I started feeling like I could function again. I've never felt so weird after a ride.

But it was a good ride! I'm so glad to be back on the bike again!

0 comments: