Friday, October 3, 2008

A Busy Day

After teaching two Spinning classes this morning, and before lifting weights, I did something that quite surprised me.

I ran.

What possessed me to run, I have no idea. Suddenly, I was running. And it felt good. Is running supposed to feel good? Please don't let me fall in love with running! I don't need more stuff I have to do!

Sometimes my body just does stuff that it wants without first consulting with my head. Like the time, MID-RACE, my body decided to jump off the bike and stretch. Once my head caught up to what my body had done, it was ticked! This was a hill-climb race, and I had almost caught the girl ahead of me. As a matter of fact, I was so close to catching her that I thought she must have been able to hear me breathing behind her. Then, suddenly, I was off my bike, and I was unable to catch her again. Dumb body!

But, I digress.

Back to the weight room...I'm lifting super easy weights at this point in the season. I know I can lift a lot more, and I want to. Especially when the weight room is crowded and I feel the need to show off (this happens more often than I would care to admit). I don't like looking like I can barely lift any weight. I feel silly. But, I don't want to jump in too strong and feel the consequences of it, so I'll keep it easy for now. The reason I'm telling you this is so you don't laugh too hard at me when I tell the following story.

After I had secured a cabled bench press (the guys weren't there to "help" me with the regular bench press today), I put some tiny weights on and did a set. I moved on to another machine. Then I noticed an older (probably in her 70s), gray-haired woman trying out my weights, getting up and taking my weights off the bench-press bar. (It must have been Grandparents Day at the gym today - there were a lot of old people there.) I was mortified when she then proceeded to put on bigger weights! Now, I felt like a huge wimp.

Before you laugh too hard: Luckily, I didn't feel wimpy for long. As I watched her, I noticed that she wasn't doing standard bench press. She was hardly bending her elbows at all. I tried her way later and decided I could do a lot more weight if I did it that way too.

Later, after I ran a bunch of errands, I started to feel a little fatigued. A friend even told me that I looked tired. It's not the debilitating tiredness that I have been having, so that's good. I think I'll throw a nap into the mix just to be safe (and because I love napping!).

0 comments: