Tuesday, September 16, 2008

Riding a Bike is Fun to Do, Fun to Do, Fun to Do!

I snuck out for a quick bike ride tonight! It was so much fun! I was beginning to go bonkers from not riding (as you can probably tell).

And, since I wasn't riding Rio (shhhh! not a word!) it doesn't even count as riding at all! Remember, I'm not supposed to be exercizing.

Tonight I rode the Specialized HardRock.


(This is not the actual bike I rode.)


Here are a few observations about riding a mountain bike (to which I am totally unaccustomed):

  • I would have enjoyed the ride more had the bike had clipless pedals. My running shoes didn't quite cut it. They kept slipping off the pedals when I tried in vein to pull up. What a pain! Plus, I felt goofy in my bike shorts and jersey with running shoes on. How unstylish!
  • I don't like the way my arms stick out on the handlebars. So un-aero!
  • My hands were a bit uncomfortable on the handlebars. I guess it's something I could get used to. If I had to. I guess.
  • I could ride over obstacles without lifting my butt off the saddle. That was nice! Although I couldn't quite convince myself to run over the big rock in the road. Too unnatural!
  • Because I was taking it easy (I'm not supposed to be riding at all, remember? Please try to keep up!), I didn't go up the watertank road (STEEP!!) to find some dirt to ride on. Besides, I don't know how to ride on dirt anyway. It is too slippery and slidey for my liking. Maybe someone would like to come give me some dirt riding pointers?
  • Mountain bikes are heavy and don't go very fast. Bummer! Especially bummer when you're trying to beat traffic across busy roads. And, even worse when you can't pull up on the pedals.
  • Specialized claims that the HardRock comes with a "comfy Body Geometry saddle". Not comfy. My ride lasted only 5.25 miles before I deemed it over. Am I getting soft?

0 comments: