Tuesday, September 9, 2008

Never, Ever, EVER Skip Regular Dentist Appointments

This is a public service announcement brought to you by Rio's Rider. Go to the dentist regularly. Really.

Because of insurance issues, I stupidly decided not to visit my dentist for the past year and a half.

Bad idea.

Today, I went in and had 6 fillings. SIX!!! (In my defense, three were redos from where I used to brush my teeth too hard and wore away the enamel, and one was a redo from one of the two real cavities I ever - previously - had.)

My whole entire mouth is numb. Dead. It has no idea it is still attached to my face. The dentist had to do work in all four quadrants of my mouth, so they numbed me up good. I can't feel my tongue. I can't feel my lips. I have no idea if I'm putting my lipstick on my lips or all over my face. When I touch my cheeks, they feel rock hard (don't go there). I can't talk normal. I thought I might be thirsty, but when I tried to drink, I couldn't tell if the water bottle was in my mouth, or if the water was even going in. I've also forgotten how to swallow. Most of the water hit the floor.

So please, unless you enjoy looking like a giant doofus, see your dentist every six months! It will save you from the misery I'm currently experiencing.

Thank you, and have a nice day.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Is this a bad time to tell you I have never had a cavity? ;)

Wishing you a fast recovery and dignity in drinking.


Hilslug

Rio's Rider said...

Thanks, Cali Girl.

FYI - I hadn't had one until after I was married either. The dentists would always ask if I had grown up in California where the water has flouride.

I've decided that a lot of my problem lately is that I now drink lots of gatorade and eat too many shot bloks at times when I can't exactly stop to take a dental hygiene break.