Friday, December 5, 2008

Friday's Rambling Thoughts

Rambling thought #1...I think I'm happier with this blog background.

Rambling thought #2....I went to a Christmas party last night. Couldn't eat one thing on the menu. Not one. I had to go ask in the kitchen if they had any lettuce I could have that hadn't touched croutons. I needed something or I was going to starve. Since I've gone gluten-free, I really haven't craved breads and cakes, but last night everything looked so yummy. The lettuce dinner didn't quite cut it for me. I'm going to another party tonight. I think I'll eat something before I leave. I don't expect I'll be able to eat anything at this party either. Bummer since they have a cookie decorating contest at this party with the best sugar cookies. And I can't eat one.

Rambling thought #3...I'm excited about the 'cross race tomorrow. I just wish my back didn't hurt and I didn't feel like I was getting a cold. Then life would be perfect! I think my sister-in-law is planning to show up to the race tomorrow too. I hope she doesn't hurt me too badly. She is scary-fast on a bike, and really should be racing in the Bs. I'm sticking to the Cs because I still need to be there. Until I learn to dismount/remount properly, I'll be a C. I suppose some mountain bike experience would help.

Rambling thought #4...In coaching news: the time is drawing near when I said I would rehire a coach. I planned on having a coach starting in January. But, I'm still undecided. I feel like I'm doing a fairly decent job of coaching myself. Initially, I worried that I wouldn't follow the plan if it was my own plan. But that hasn't been an issue. The biggest benefit for me having a real coach would be that I wouldn't have to think about planning the workouts myself. Is that worth paying someone to do for me? I don't know. Still, I would like to have someone look at my workout plans and tell me if I've done a good job. Plus, with a coach I would have someone else to be accountable to, which I may need soon since I'm finding it harder and harder to ride as the weather gets colder. And I can almost always talk myself out of riding the trainer with the excuse that I'm the only one who would know if I skipped it. I'd like to hear your thoughts on this, please.

Well, that's all I have for now...

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I am sorry you couldn't eat anything at the party. Being lactose intolerant, I get a glimpse of what you go through.

Here's the plan for your training. I will be your coach. You give me your plans and I will hold you accountable. Ask my kids, I can be an encouraging, yet pesky taskmaster. I have no clue if the training plan is good, I kinda lack that expertise. :P Seriously, does the financial commitment to a coach help you with accountability? It does with me and Weight Watchers. If so and you need that boost of accountability (which is very normal) and an expert eye on your training plan, hire a coach.

Hilslug :)

Anonymous said...

PS Good luck tomorrow and have fun!

-Hilslug

Anonymous said...

The biggest benefit in my eyes of having a coach is not to get you to do the work. For most cyclists, working hard is easy. It's not overdoing it where most people need help. You don't always see the signs of being tired in yourself that may be obvious to someone else.
And yeah, I'm an active coach, so take it for what it's worth.

Anonymous said...

K-

I really don't have an opinion about you getting a coach but just to represent another view, take a look at this link that I took off of Darrell aka Dr. X's site. It's pretty funny and..... just read it.
Nice job today!

(sorry if this posts twice)

http://davefoley.com/bikeracing/negacoach/index.html

Rio's Rider said...

Wow! I'm gonna get me some Nega-coaching! That was hilarious! I especially appreciated these fine points:

"If you could think for yourself, you wouldn't be hiring a coach at all, would you?"
and
"Our proven techniques will make you realize that despite your smokin' good looks, magnetic personality, and genetic superiority, you are still a piece of sh** that doesn't work hard enough to deserve cycling succcess."

Turbo - Point well taken. I've been there and not realized it until it's too late.

Hilslug - Come back to Spinning one of these days and we'll discuss your "plan."