Tuesday, August 12, 2008

Trying to Stay Positive

Sleep last night was restless and sporadic. So, when the alarm went off this morning telling me to get up and ride, I went back to sleep until 8:00. I didn't get on my bike until nearly 9 am. Which ended up being just fine. The air was unseasonably cool for so late in the morning on an August day. Just cool enough that I was glad to have brought my arm warmers.

The first half-hour of my ride was the working portion of the ride. Sub-threshold work. I had a hard time getting my heart rate up there, but once it was up, it didn't want to come back down during recovery. I wonder if this has anything to do with how low my resting heart rate was this morning: 41 beats per minute! I actually saw it dip to 40 bpm a couple of times, but didn't figure it could be right, so I'm sticking with the 41 number.

After the hard work was over, I went into la-la riding mode. At some points in the ride I would suddenly remember I was riding and wonder how I got to where I was so fast. Totally not paying attention! I have a lot of stuff on my mind right now. Then I started looking around at the beauty of the day. Here's what I noticed:

  • A flock of some black water birds (ibis?) flying above me in V-formation.
  • A group of three vultures sitting in a dead tree, nervously watching me-like they were planning my demise.
  • A whole field of Canadian geese. I wouldn't have noticed these if I hadn't been looking.
  • Looking across the field is the lake, shining blue in the sun, and beyond that the valley is surrounded by tall, purple and gray mountains.
The Saratoga Spring ride is really a pretty one. I'm glad I went out and enjoyed it. I live in such a beautiful area!

One the way home, I decided to stop by The Bike Peddler for an adjustment on my rear dérailleur. I had changed out my hanger a few days ago, and today I noticed that some of the cogs were noisy while I was riding. I got to the shop a couple of minutes before they opened. So I put my bike in the rack out front and went to sit on the rack to wait for them to open. I didn't know the rack wasn't bolted down. It threw me. I caught myself before I landed on my butt. I felt really stupid when I looked through the shop's front window and noticed the shop guys inside. I don't think they saw me fall since they were all sitting on the floor fixing a computer. They let me in, dropped what they were doing, fixed the problem (no charge), and I was on my way again. I can't state enough how much I love this bike shop! It's one of the few shops I've been to where a I can walk in and get treated with the same respect I would be treated with if I were a man.

Anyway, I probably won't be posting for a few days. I've got some family stuff I need to deal with for a while. Also, I'm sad to report that I won't be seen at the Tour of Utah until Friday. I'll miss it! I've looked forward to (ok, let's admit it - I've been super excited about) volunteering for two years, and I won't be able to be there very much this year. For all of you riding in the tour-GOOD LUCK (I'm hoping the Utah All Stars kick some butt)!!! For those of you who are lucky enough to be able to volunteer most the days - HAVE FUN and I'll see you on Friday!

2 comments:

Downhilldiva said...

Sorry about your family stuff. I wondered where you were today. I'm going to have to give Bike Peddler a try. You mean they didn't try to sell you a four inch thick saddle and a camelback?

Hey looks like some of the team is going for dinner after stage 3, hook up with us! I miss you!

Karen McCandless said...
This comment has been removed by the author.