Saturday, August 30, 2008

The Last (for now) Hurrah

I really enjoyed my last (until next time) ride today. I ended up riding around West Mountain with Slingshot, Ragla, and Binlaw. We rode a really easy pace - even easier than I had anticipated because Ragla has been sick and is doing LOTOJA next week, so she wanted to go super easy. I think Binlaw might have been disappointed by the slower speed, but she didn't show it.

We were passed by the Velo Club group doing their century ride to Mona. I'm glad I opted not to ride with them since they were really pushing the pace. Besides, my saddle really bothered me today. I'm not sure I could have done 50 more miles than I did. I don't know why my Specialized Jett saddle has suddenly started hurting me. It's always been a super comfy saddle. I got it right after the Sanpete race last year because my old saddle hurt so bad that day. So the only conclusion I can draw is that the Sanpete race is a pain in the butt for me.

On the way back to the Cracker Barrel (where we'd parked), Ragla and I decided we wanted more time. Actually, my butt protested about spending any more time in the saddle, but I needed it and so did Ragla. So we gave the keys to Slingshot and kept riding into Provo. We probably could have just ridden home, but Slingshot and Binlaw were following us in the car, so the temptation to get in when 3 hours of riding was up was just too great.

Some wildlife seen on the ride:

  • 3 sandhill cranes
  • 2 great-blue herons
  • A ring-necked pheasant
  • A thousand tree swallows
  • A million bank swallows
  • A crow
  • Several hawks
  • A dead rattle snake in the road
I am freakishly tired after this ride, and while I'm sure I'm going to miss riding, I'm kinda looking forward to taking some time off and resting.

0 comments: