Saturday, June 14, 2008

Little Mountain State Championship Road Race

LITTLE Mountain? That was no little hill climb!

Quick report: I hung with the pack for the first lap until we got to the big climb. Then the whole field spread out. The second lap, I was caught by two teammates. We worked together with another newbie girl until the climb again. The new girl stopped to adjust her shoe and I climbed ahead of my teammates. All three of them caught me on the way back around - AGAIN! I have got to work on faster descents! Right before they caught me, I managed to lose BOTH of my water bottles (okay, I threw my empty favorite insulated Polar bottle and my dropped my 1st Endurance bottle). So I was SOL on the last lap. I couldn't even beg water off my teammates because they were out of water as well. I knew once I made it to the top of the climb I could get another bottle from neutral support. But, this time up, they weren't offering any bottles, so I had to beg for one. I hope I didn't take one that was intended for someone specific. It had something besides water in it. Anyway, the last time up the monster climb was especially tough. The wind had started blowing, and of course, it was a headwind. Once over the climb, I powered through to the finish because I didn't want to get caught by anyone on this final descent. Nobody caught me! Yeah! 10th place. Not last. Getting better.

After the race I went to find my water bottles. I knew exactly where they had landed (I made sure to look at the house address). They were gone. I thought I had found my 1st Endurance bottle, but when I opened it and smelled inside, it definitely wasn't mine. Who drinks something minty for a race? Weird. Mostly, I'm mad someone picked up my insulated bottle. I loved that bottle.

The only picture I managed to take today was of Turbo. Disclaimer: I'm not stalking Turbo! I just happened to be standing there holding my camera as he went by. It may appear as though I was trying to take a track-stand-type picture. I wasn't. He's just too speedy for my camera, and was past by the time I got the shot.

4 comments:

Downhilldiva said...

You know what has worked well for me on descents? Body weight. Want to go get some fries?

Anonymous said...

stalker.

Rio's Rider said...

Turbo: Pfftttt! :-p

DHD: Fries?...Probably not. If you had said cookie dough, I would have been all over it! I managed to eat four cookies for lunch today. Big cookies - molasses. Yum!
Wait! You're just trying to get me to ruin my climbing prowess! I've gotta go throw up now.

Downhilldiva said...

Shoot you're onto me. It does suck to watch you ride away from me on every climb and then have to use my DHdivaishness to catch you! I've got Otis Spunkmeyer cookie dough in my freezer . . .