Thursday, June 5, 2008

I'm Feeling MELLOW

I just got back from the most fabulous massage!

Now, I don't get massages very often. A massage is a real a luxury for me.

So, what made me decide to go and get a massage today? A whole series of events happening over the last couple of months.

First, my coach has been working with me to help me get over some mental games I'm playing with myself. For some reason, I don't seem to be progressing with this bike racing thing. So, we've come to the conclusion that it's not my physical abilities that are limiting me, but rather my negative self-talk and emotions.

I was discussing all of this with my chiropractor, and he clued me into some stuff that made me think that I just need to find a way to let my body de-stress and let go of some harmful emotions. Just as I was sitting there talking to him, my neck went out on my three times. He finally pulled out some book and showed my how my emotions are affecting how my body reacts. I know it sounds weird, but I'm starting to believe it.

Then, one day I come home to find an advertisement on the door. Usually, I just toss these right into the trash. But this one was different. It had a personal note attached, and said it was from Kenny. "Kenny who?" I thought, ready to toss it. Then I got to looking at it and realized it was from one of my favorite bike shop guys, Kenny. Now my interest was really perked up because Kenny himself is a good reason to go to the bike shop, if you know what I mean. I got to reading the flyer and realized that Kenny is not only a great bike shop guy, but a licensed massage therapist. Not only that, but a lot of the stuff Kenny does as a therapist is dealing with releasing pent up negative emotions and stress. Cool.

So I called and scheduled an appointment. While talking to Kenny, I realized how awesome it will be to have a massage therapist who really understands all that is involved with biking and how it affects the body. He even asked about if I was racing this weekend and told me that he'd go a little easier on my legs so they will be up to performing well this weekend.

Well, now that I'm home from the massage, I've gotta tell you, I'm am feeling great! Kenny really knows what he is doing. I am in a super mellow mood and am so relaxed.

Time to start putting in more hours at work. I think this luxury is going to have to become a necessity in my life.

3 comments:

Downhilldiva said...

I'm glad your massage went well for you. I get one every two weeks. I walk in with heavy legs and out feeling relaxed and mellow. Now we'll both be ready to rock and roll on Saturday!
Besides massage I also recommend the book "The Mind Gym, an Athlete's guide to inner excellence".

crazy4rammstein said...

Um...so, you're saying this Kenny guy is a hottie AND he'll rub you down?

How do I get in touch with him?

;)

BG

Rio's Rider said...

I'll bring his card to you at Sugar House. See you tomorrow!