Friday, June 29, 2007

The View from My Place

Excitement in town today as everyone seems to be keeping an eye on the fire on the mountain. I took the following shot just as the airplane dropped some red fire retardant on the fire.


I always hate fire season. We live in a desert and so everything's pretty dry around here anyway. This is yet another drought year, so water supply is pretty short. I just hate to see the fires start because everything is so dry from lack of water, and then we have to use so much of what little water we have to put the fires out. There are at least two fires burning in the area today. I'm personally always looking for ways to conserve water, and it's sad to see so much of it used when it could be used in so many other ways.


On to Bikey Things
This morning I decided I should get back on my bike. I woke up feeling pretty good this morning. So, I got dressed to ride Rio to Spinning class this morning. As I was leaving the house I went to pick Rio up and carry her down the stairs. When did Rio get so heavy? Ot, oh. Maybe I'm not feeling as well as I thought. But, I had already packed my backpack to go, and I had to leave NOW if I was going to make it on time. Besides, I had told Sling that he could drive the car to work, so I was out of options anyway. So off I go, riding easy to the fitness center. By the time I got there, I realized I was shaking pretty good. I guess maybe I'm not ready to ride just yet. This infection has taken so much more out of me than I realized. But, it was an intervals class today, and the members of the class were expecting a good ride, so I put on my happy face and taught a tough one.
One the way home I realized something. Cars were driving more courteously around me today. Then it occured to me that I usually ride in full kit. I look like I know what I'm doing most of the time. I look like I ride a lot and can handle myself. Today, I was dressed like a commuter: T-shirt and backpack. Maybe I looked sketchy enough that people gave me more room. Last year when I rode I noticed that drivers were more courteous to me than to Sling. I figured it was because he's a guy, and maybe they give more room to the ladies. I haven't noticed that people are giving me much respect this year, though. It must have something to do with how serious of a cyclist you look. I figure that the more serious you look, the less respect you get. Just a thought.

0 comments: