Thursday, June 14, 2007

Stupid Trucks!

So, I got ran off the road by a big double trailer dump truck today. I only had about six inches of road to the right of the white line, so I was already a bundle of nerves. I could hear a large-sounding vehicle approaching from behind me. As he (pretty sure it was a he) passes, he's not giving me an inch. And the truck kept going and going -- it was long. About then, I realize that the trailer portion of the truck is going to hit me if I don't move over. The only place to go was into the gravel and weeds. I managed to keep the bike upright until the truck passed, and I pulled it back up onto the asphalt. The stupid truck then makes a right-hand turn right in front of me. At this point I'm pretty ticked, so I chased the guy down close enough to see the license plate number before he disappeared down the road. I kept repeating the number in my head until I came to a red light, at which point I plugged the number into my phone so I could remember it.
When I got home, I called the local police dept. and reported the incident. The officer was so helpful (not), ending the call with the question, "So, what do you want me to do about it?" Um...how about your job? State law says that drivers must give cyclists three feet, and I didn't have any. Hopefully, the nice policeman was able to at least find the guy and say something somewhat threatening about treating cyclists like humans.

1 comments:

Todd said...

Gota be careful. VERY glad U R safe!