Tuesday, June 19, 2007

Napping Bliss

I'm really loving this down-time training week. After Spinning class this morning, I came home and went back to bed for THREE HOURS of extra sleep! Coaches orders: "Take the extra time you would be training to take a nap or do some extra stretching." I can do napping and stretching.

One the other hand, I am starting to miss being on my bike. I guess absence makes the heart grow fonder. Just as I was beginning to loathe being on the bike, it's taken away from me, so of course, now I can't wait to get back on. Wait, that sounded bad. It's not that I loathe the bike so much as I don't enjoy worrying about where to ride, traffic, when to go, and stuff like that.

I hope the time off the bike doesn't cause any nervousness in me. There was a cyclist hit (intentionally) in SLC this week. His situation almost mirrors the one I experienced last week. Just like him, I was riding behind a box delivery truck when the truck came to a stop in the road. In both cases the truck starts backing up. In the other cyclist's case, cyclist bangs on the truck to get his attention and let the driver know he was back there. What I did was jump off my bike, pick her up, and run to the other side of the road where the driver could see me. Sure, I looked stupid carrying my bike running like a ninny, but maybe it saved my life. The driver in the other cyclist's case gets angry about his truck being hit, turns his truck around and runs the cyclist over. My truck driver realized I was back there, and waited for me to get past him before he continued on. Had I been on a busier road and would have been unable to move out of the way to the other side of the road, I would have done just what the other cyclist did, banged on the truck. Bikes don't have horns and it would have been the most logical way to get the driver's attention quickly. From what I understand, the other cyclist is in really bad condition. He will have to have a leg amputated and he lost a lot of blood. I hope they catch the truck driver and put him away for a long time. Sending good vibes to the cyclist to get better soon.

0 comments: