Friday, June 26, 2009

School and Stuff

School started for me yesterday. Sort of.

My first back-to-college class was to start at 6 p.m. I left my house early in order to leave plenty of time for me to find parking and the classroom. I decided to drive past the UVU crit course on my way to class - just to see if anything looked different. Sure enough, the course looked really different, and since I was running early, I HAD to stop and check it out. I only stayed long enough to say "Hi" to a couple of people and map out the course in my head. Then it was off to class.

I found my classroom all dark and closed, so I decided to wander around and locate such essentials as the drinking fountain and the restrooms. Then I sat on a couch and played with my phone. At my second check of the classroom I found a guy there asking if he was in the right room. We decided we both were in the right place, so we went inside and found our seats. Then about five girls came in and another guy. The girls all seemed to know one another and proceeded to chit-chat about what classes they had taken, who were the best/worst teachers, how hard the quizzes were in certain classes, presentations, assignments, homework, library, research, and enormous amounts of time spent on school...I started wondering what I was doing there. How am I going to pull school off? What was I thinking when I signed up for this?!?
This went on for 20 minutes before one of the guys declared he was tired of waiting for the teacher and was leaving. Yep, the teacher was a no-show. I shoved all my stuff back in my bag and was the second one out the door. I had the evening free, and there was a race going on right on campus!

I hurried over to the race and watched Sleevie win again. I never get tired of that.

My evening's education was not all lost. Holly gave me some good officiating pointers for this weekend's race. Not the education I had gone for, but it works for me.

Today, I walked out of the house at 7:30 a.m., and it was hot out already. I peeled off my jacket and arm warmers and decided that as soon as I got to Lehi (I was driving there to meet a friend for some hill work in Alpine) I would get rid of the base layer I was wearing too. By the time I got to Lehi it was starting to rain, and when I got out of the car I discovered that the temperature had dropped by about 15-20 degrees! What the CRAP!?! Why does the weather always have to go junk every time I go outside? I proceeded to put back on all my cold weather clothes.

We started riding and it started pouring. Luckily I had been wise enough to pull my rain coat out of the trunk and put in on too before we started. Sure, I looked like a dork, but at least my upper body stayed nice and dry. I got some good intervals on the hills done and it felt good. Too bad the work has left me with another dumb headache.

One last item: Please remember to be extra nice to the race officials this weekend - especially any who may be suffering from a recent concussion. Thank you.

0 comments: