Wednesday, June 10, 2009

Following Doctor's Orders

I went back to the doctor yesterday to check on the progress of my concussion. Guess what? No progress! My right eye will dilate/contract a couple of times before it gets tired and stops responding, and my left eye still has no response whatsoever. At least I still have a good excuse as to why I'm such a dingbat!

And when I say dingbat, I mean DINGBAT! I have noticed the following disturbing attributes in myself in the last week:

  • I can't remember things for very long. Sometimes not even for a minute. I have managed to put water on to boil and then totally forget about it until I've wondered what the weird burning smell is, only to discover a blackened pan sitting on the stove. I have promised to call people and have totally forgotten. I have gone into websites to research something and forgotten all about it until later when I go to do the research again, wondering what happened the first time I tried. The list could go on, but I can't remember anything else right now...
  • I can't spell. I have always thought of myself as pretty capable in the English language. Thank heaven for spell check or you would think you had found a foreign language site instead of my blog today.
  • I am extra easily distracted. Work is seriously suffering because sometimes I wander off and do something else before remembering that I'm at work.
  • I slur when I speak. It's embarrassing. My mouth wants to move faster than my brain is able to keep up with. Plus, I have made up some pretty interesting new words lately...only I have no idea what they mean.
  • There was something else, but I can't remember...
Anyway, it's getting really frustrating! My doctor told me that I need to keep my training really easy right now. I've gotten clearance to get back on my bike, but I have to ride with someone, I have to ride recovery only, and if I get dizzy I have to stop (obviously). This means riding really slow, which is hard for me. Basically, the doctor told me that if I get my heart rate up too high while I have a concussion, I could cause bleeding on the brain. Sooooo don't want that! So I'll behave myself and keep my rides easy for now.

I did get out for another recovery ride with Lifesgreat this morning. Another rainy ride. We made it further this time: all the way to Vivian Park up Provo Canyon. It only took us an hour and 45 minutes (including stops) to go 14.5 miles. We picked Philpot up along the way. He had already climbed South Fork and was headed home as we were heading up the canyon. He turned around and rode back up and back with us. He and Lifegreat had plenty to talk about, and I was happy just to cruise along and listen to the conversation.

On Thursday, it will be two weeks since I crashed. It will also be two weeks until I start school. I hope I am semi-functional again by then, so no one has to wonder how the heck someone so dingy could get into college!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

You don't have a concussion, you have ADHD. It's OK most cyclist do. The prescription is less road racing and more mountain biking.

Rio's Rider said...

I like your thinking, Dr. Keyes. I may need to do some research on that idea soon...