Tuesday, February 24, 2009

What a Difference Ten Degrees Makes

Another beautiful day for riding.

I subbed the early morning class this morning, and as we were cooling down, I asked the class what the weather was going to be today. "Nice. 55-60 degrees," they told me. "I'm riding!" came my answer.

Phil was up for going with me. So we met at noon and rode out to Saratoga Springs. It was fabulous! I didn't even need a jacket today. Bonus: we made it out and back before it started raining.

On the way out, we had a fabulous tailwind. Of course this meant that it was all headwind on the way back home. I wasn't feeling the power to push hard into the wind. Phil would leave me every time we'd turn into the wind. I think it was because I had no back-end strength. I woke up this morning with my lower back severely out of alignment. It pretty much hurts to do anything except ride. So that's what I attribute the lack-of-power feeling to. Besides, Phil is an animal now that he has a road bike.

On the way home I saw something wonderful! The farmers had planted the fields and little green sprouts were starting to emerge. Spring is coming! As much as I love playing in the snow, I am ready for some warm weather.

I had to keep my Garmin in my jersey pocket since my handlebar mount broke, so I couldn't see my numbers as we rode. I thought we had been going slow and keeping things conversational, but was amazed to see that we had made some decent time. It may be a good thing for me not to stare at my numbers while I ride.

31.5 miles in 1:55

1 comments:

Anonymous said...

No wonder I didn't see you at Sundance. I snowshoed w/o a jacket. It was awesome. Sounds like it was nice bike weather too.

-Hilslug