Saturday, November 29, 2008

Stupid Tights!

The 'cross race at Wheeler Farm today was filled with a bunch of would'ves, could'ves, should'ves for me.



I was doing really well - first place, in fact - for the first half lap. I had taken off from the starting line in a dead sprint. I was determined to be the first one to the 180 degree turn. I was. And I continued to lead the group - until the first run up. Then I had a mechanical - with my tights. The stupid tights got caught on my saddle as I was getting off the bike. And if that wasn't bad enough, they got stuck again getting back onto my bike. Part of the issue was that my tights have gotten a little loose on me lately. Another part of the issue is that I really shouldn't even be wearing tights in a 'cross race (I heard that they cause a lot of people issues). And part of the issue was that the saddle on the borrowed bike I used was too nose up. It was enough nose up that I'm sore from it after only 20-30 minutes on it.



Anyway, back to the race. Because of the tights problem, my sister-in-law, Brooke (in her first ever 'cross race), came around me. Now she was in first place, and I was in second. Then we caught some junior boys who had started their race 30 seconds before us. Brooke was able to get around them on the wide part of the trail. But I got stuck behind one of the juniors as we hit the single track. So, I got to slow down and recover a bit, and Brooke kept getting further and further ahead of me. By the time I was able to get around him, she was too far ahead of me to catch her again.





After several more issues with the tights, and most of the group passing me, I went into goof off mode. The second, and last, lap was just me enjoying myself, trying not to lose any more places, and trying to gain some places back.



Brooke ended up taking first place. Ashleigh, my old neighbor's wife, took second. She would have been first, but had her chain come off on the run up. I was able to pass her then, but being in goof off mode by that time, she easily passed me again. I ended up in third place. Yeah! Utah County girls -1st, 2nd & 3rd!

The best part of the day for me, other than the awesome lead out, was that I was able to earn a dollar from a handout on the course. I could've had another, but I didn't take the second offer. I should've.


If only I would've worn shorts instead of tights...

If only I could've stayed ahead of Brooke...

Next time...

Can't wait for the Draper 'cross race next weekend!

2 comments:

Downhilldiva said...

You did great! I've had problems with tights too. I've also had problems with knee warmers. Stuff just doesn't stay in place like it does on the road.

Next week? I'm putting new brakes on the Scotty and he has such a nice saddle. . .

Anonymous said...

ride naked! problem solved.

wait, I didn't say that.