Friday, November 14, 2008

The Enemy Has Returned

My fatigue has returned. I think I've just worked myself too hard this week. Most of my classes, with the exception of today's class, have been extremely physically hard classes. Plus, I did extra classes again this week. Stressful classes full of grumpy teenagers.

I was super excited for today's class because it was an endurance class. And we rode really, really easy. I could tell by the looks on the member's faces that they wanted to go way harder than I was allowing. But I needed easy, so that's what we did.

Unfortunately, after class I went down to the weight room. I, being the great coach that I am, had scheduled this workout, and by darn, I was going to do it - just because it was on the schedule. After the third set of weights, I deemed myself done. I really struggled to finish that third set, too. I kept telling myself that there was chocolate upstairs in my coat and I should go get it. That didn't work. I made myself continue on, even trying to convince myself that I would do the forth set as well. But then I told myself that if I was going to race cross tomorrow that I'd better stop at three sets. Maybe I should have stopped sooner. Dumb body can't seem to handle much workload!

Right now, just the thought of riding my bike, let alone racing is making me want to go climb into bed. Hope I can fit in a nap today so I don't feel like a zombie tomorrow.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I had "Parents and Pastries" at school this morning so I missed your class. I would have been the one in the front with the smile on my face-ahhhhh, endurance ride! I am doing endurance until the end of the year. Gotta build that cardio base up.

Good luck tomorrow! I will think of you hauling that bike over the river and through the woods.

Hilslug

The Mop said...

Vitamins... Make sure if you are in regular exercise mode you are taking a good multivitamin, and a B supplement.

Athletes burn more calories, obviously they consume more vitamins. The Stress on your body, is increased and it consumes most of your B vitamins. So additional B's are needed since they counteract both the physical and mental stress.

You're becoming a highly efficient machine, and you must top up on all your vital vitamins and minerals... It keeps the machine running optimally, without breakdowns.(It helps to warm it up before you put it into high gear).

Fatigue... after high levels of exercise, consuming recovery carbs as soon after exercise as you can keeps fatigue away.
At 15 minutes after exercise you convert sugar into blood sugar at twice the rate it does at 30 minutes after exercise. That blood sugar goes to your muscles to ward of fatigue, and helps you 'Recover' more quickly.

Additionally if your body is starved for vitamins it will consume any food it can find Until it fills the deficiency. Vitamins will keep those unreasonable cravings away.

Which all should bring the reasonable person to realize that eating Healthy; fruit and vegetables is also a good idea.