Tuesday, July 8, 2008

40 Cents None the Richer

At 5:15 in the morning, it's pretty easy to talk yourself out of getting out of bed. So, when the alarm went off this morning, I tried hard to talk myself out of riding today. The coach had given me the option of riding easy for two hours or taking a two-hour nap. Hmmm...what to do?

Well, surprise! I got up! But not until after I had this little conversation with myself:

"Go back to sleep. You could have a nap instead of riding today."

"You're only supposed to have a nap if you're feeling tired today."

"I am feeling tired. Roll over and go back to sleep."

"Yeah, but it's 5 am. Of course you're feeling tired right now. Besides, CW is riding with us today. It's going to be slow - like a recovery ride. You can nap on your bike."

"Ugh, just let me go back to sleep."

"You'll have to call Ragla and tell her you're not coming."

"Fine, I'm getting up."

Little did I know, but Ragla was sleeping in too. By the time I got to her house, CW had woken her up. We were late getting started. And then we had to go to CW's house to find a pump for Ragla's tires. By the time we were really rolling, we were already 20 minutes behind schedule.

We were headed for Springville, but I was only able to ride as far as south Provo before I had to turn back. Couldn't miss my appointment with Kenny.

When I'm riding endurance, I like to play a little game. I count up all the change I see on the road and see how much richer I would be if I had stopped to pick it all up. Today was a record day for me: 40 cents! I will stop for paper money. Once I picked up a brand new $20.

Oh... I even managed to squeeze in that 2-hour nap today. I knew you were wondering.

3 comments:

Michelle and Nick said...

if the $20 you picked up was at Sunroc in Springville, that was ours. And I don't like how you have me listed on your links!!!

Rio's Rider said...

Ha, ha! Just for that, I'm keeping your $20!

Michelle and Nick said...

Hey Louise, thanks for changing it. See, I'm on top of things. Now I just need to update my own blog instead of hassling you to change my name...