Monday, December 31, 2007

Wouldn't have missed it (would I have?)

This morning I was woken up by the sound of the phone ringing. Already, people were calling me asking if the Polar Pedal was going to happen. I looked out the window to see what the weather looked like. Here's what I saw:



"Uh, no. I don't think I'm riding today." So it was decided. Or, so I thought.

A couple of hours later, the phone rang again. Another person asking if the ride was going down. "Nope, too snowy," came my quick, already decided answer.
"But, there's no snow where I am."
"Well, there is at my house."
"Aw, come on, there can't be that much snow. You don't live that far away from me."
I started to reconsider. I do live rather east and we always tend to get more snow than everyone else.
"Ok, I'll go drive the route and call you back with my final answer." I told the caller.
So I went and drove the route. The further west and north I headed, the clearer the roads got.
I called the person back. "See you in an hour. We'll have to stick to State Street, all the side roads are pretty snowpacked"

By the time I showed up at the Macey's flagpole there was already a group waiting. Not the big group I had originally expected, but a bigger group than I counted on considering the weather. With the weather as it was, we were glad to see the paramedics out in force.



It was snowing as we headed out. We decided we wouldn't go far, but by the time we got to our pre-determined turn-around point, everyone wanted to keep going.

Here's what the roads pretty much looked like (except for a couple of iced over areas once we got off State Street):



We ended up taking last year's route, out to the American Fork temple and back. Since I had driven over to Macey's, the ride ended up being only about 15 miles for me.

Here we are at the temple:



I had wanted to get in a good three hours today, but ended up with only one. I'm still debating finishing out the other two hours with my new love: cross-country skiing. I better get going. I'm running out of daylight play time.

Now, if I only had a New Year's Eve party to go to, the day would be perfect!

2 comments:

Downhilldiva said...

Hey girl, I am officially signed up as of today. I signed up online at Sportsbase. I'm so excited that you are joining too. I didn't try on the clothes. I just went ahead and ordered mediums. Who knows, they always are tight on my arms and the bottoms always stretch out. Hopefully they wont be so tight I can't get them on. I wanted to get them ordered because I want to go do the Nevada race at the end of January.

Unknown said...

And after reading your negative post a couple of days ago, I decided to not join this ride.

It's all your fault!

If the weather is a repeat of today, I'm just hopping on my bike and doing the Herriman loop at 10 a.m. or noonish.