Friday, December 7, 2007

Feeling Better Now

Yesterday morning I felt like I had either recently had surgery on my leg, or that I was involved in some sort of car wreck. That's how bad my leg hurt! Today, it's more like I just overdid a workout. A bit stiff and sore, but bearable.

Once I hobbled up to the U of U lab and did my workouts, I started feeling much better. I'm rapidly recovering now.

Every day at the lab this week I've had to do the following:

First, a blood draw, then

1) a five minute warm up on a two-pedaled bike followed by two squats to rate my pain;

2) two three-second left-leg sprints;

3) two three-second right-leg sprints;

4) two right-leg sprints on 120 mm crank;

5) two right-leg sprints on long cranks (I don't know how long, but the pedal circle is about two feet in diameter.);

6) 90-second resistance load holding 80 RPMs with left leg (I hate these!);

7) 90-second resistance load holding 80 RPMs with right leg (I hate these more!);

8) two three-second sprints beyond 120 RPM with right leg.

Whew! It seems like a lot now that I write it down, but it goes by really fast.

Once I leave the U, my leg feels so much better -- like it can actually function as a leg. But then I spend an hour driving home and it gets all stiffened up, and it takes awhile for it to work properly again.

I have one more day to go in this study -- I hope! There is a chance that if I'm not recovered enough (based on my pre-testing and post-testing wattage), I have to come back for a few more days next week.

One of the best things about doing this study is that all my meals are planned for me. All I have to do is grab a pre-measured meal or snack and eat. It's been really convenient. The only problem has been that I've had three holiday parties this week, and I can't eat any of the party food. Looking forward to that cheesecake JE promised!

4 comments:

crazy4rammstein said...

Wow! I'm glad I didn't sign up for one of these cycling studies at the U! I was too afraid that combined with Coach-inflicted torture would wear me out. I'm a wuss. Are you getting paid well?

I love the new layout of your blog...how can mine be that cool too?

Bearonabike said...

Sounds like some good winter training.
If your still looking for a club/team, you should consider Porcupine. I have met some nice people and not many people can say that they go on group rides with a couple of the fastest racers in the state. (Team Rico, DH, and AJ of Porcupine/Specialized to name a few). I am down south now and will miss those rides. Mike Meldrum is heading up the club for Porcupine. I am struggling to find a new group to ride with down south as well.
Good luck with the lab testing and finding a team.

Former SLC native now living in SG.

Rio's Rider said...

Rammstein Girl,
Yes, they are paying me well. Besides the torture and the hour-long drive, it's been kinda fun.
Here's the website for the cool blog templates: http://matiekay.blogspot.com/

Rio's Rider said...

Bear on a Bike (aka SG Guy),

Yep, I'm still lookin' for a team. Taking my time, weighing my options. I have wanted to ride for the Porcs, but they don't seem to have a lot of women riders, so I don't know.

Good luck finding a group to ride with in SG!