Wednesday, July 11, 2007

Rest Day

Today is a rest day for me. Resting from what? I've done three hard strength rides in the last two days. My legs are pooped!

Yesterday, I rode with Coach Girl. She's mean. We were working on holding a certain cadence as we were climbing. After so many sets, we were supposed to recover for ten minutes. About that time, we came to a parking lot. My idea was to ride nice around the lot for ten minutes before heading up into some steeper climbs. She would have none of it!
"We can recover on the hill."
Up we went. I couldn't recover. As steep as those climbs were, who could recover? So, I didn't get my recovery in before we had to hit it hard again. It seemed like every time we turned on the high cadence, we would be at a really tough climb. It's so hard to hold a 90 RPM on a 13 percent grade!

I've invited Coach Girl to ride with me again tomorrow for some threshold training. I'm a glutton for punishment.

Looking at the view outside, I'm glad I'm not riding today. I can hardly see the mountains for all the smoke. Everything I look at has a mysterious-looking red hue. Practically the whole state is on fire. I know of at least four fires that are contributing to the haze: the Milford Fire to the south (a big one at 300,000+ acres), the Mesquite fires to the west, the Promontory fire to the northwest, and the Uinta fire to the east. Not too great on the lungs.

0 comments: