Tuesday, July 31, 2007

Alpine Loop Revisited

Did the full Alpine Loop this morning. It was the first time I had ridden this route since last year. I was surprised how much easier it seemed this time. I'm getting better at this biking thing!

The first time I climbed the Alpine Loop, I remember suffering the whole way up and down. My heart rate was maxed out and my legs were burning the entire time. I remember my perception of the ride was that it was steep all the way to the top.

The next time I did it, I remember realizing that the climb is really only steep until you get to Sundance Ski Resort. From there to the summit, it's less painful. But I still remember suffering to the top this second time.

Then I raced it. It sucked. I remember being totally blown up before reaching the summit. I also remember telling people on the side of the road watching the race that I'd gladly trade places with them. I finished, but lost.

The Alpine Loop today was glorious in comparison to any of the previous tries. About a mile into it, I commented to Coach Girl that I couldn't believe I hated it so much last year. I was actually having a good time. So good, I ended up easily passing Coach Girl! She looked like she was struggling, and she was slowing down. I still felt really good, and even though I consider it bad manners to pass Coach Girl, I did it. Then my Garmin started acting up. Apparently it couldn't pick up a good satellite signal, so it kept quitting on me. I got so concerned about it that I started dropping back. Pretty soon I was the one being passed. Then the back pain kicked in, and I realized we were on the steepest part of the climb, just before Sundance. Pretty soon I decided that since Coach Girl was riding ahead of me and wouldn't see, I would get off my bike. So I did. The shame! But it did help my back feel better to rest and stretch for a while. I ended up walking my bike about a quarter of a mile, looking for a less steep place to get back on.

Once we got past Sundance, and the endorphins kicked in, my back started feeling better. The rest of the ride to the top was quite pleasant. I don't remember thinking that so much of the Loop was flat up there. But that was the perception today. And the last bit to the top was nothing like I remembered it. Nothing to it, really.

Then came the descent. The road is very narrow..really only about one car width. I knew there was a sharp hairpin turn right away, so I was extra cautious. There seemed to be more traffic on the American Fork side, making things a bit tricky. Most of the cars were riding on my side of the road because there's just not enough room. The scariest parts were when there was a car coming at me and I could hear a car behind me, too. I bet they were just as happy to have me on the road as I was to have them there.

Last year, I could barely make it home after doing the full loop. This year, I felt so good I suggested to Coach Girl that we keep going and do Traverse Ridge while we were at it. We didn't.

Next time I'll bring my camera. The scenery can't be beat!

38.6 miles
2:42
14 mph average

Chalk Creek Road Race -- Saturday, July 28

I made the mistake of racing Chalk Creek as a Master. I am seriously kicking myself in the rear end for not racing as a Cat 4. Looking at the results numbers, I would have been 5th as a Cat 4, and therefore would have earned 17 points. Instead I raced against three insanely fast Masters women. Their times beat any of the Cat 4s times by at least 3 minutes! I had no chance. But I did ride with them for a ways into the race, so I managed to pull off 4th place. I raced most of the race by myself...I was off the back of the leading ladies, and a way in front of the rest of the group.

BTW, I raced as a Master because it was the Master's Championship race and I wanted to see if I could get a medal. So, I ended up being only one place away from medaling. I missed out on a medal and I missed out on my Cat 4 points. Grrr!



31 ish miles (as always, I forgot to start my computer at the start)
1:44
18 mph average

0 comments: