Wednesday, July 4, 2007

Independence Day Ride

Woke up early this morning looking forward to a punishing ride with my club. We were going to be going around the Alpine Loop, a mountain climb with about 3200 feet elevation gain. But, I spent too much time getting ready to go I guess. I showed up at the bike shop (the meeting place for the ride) 4 min late, and either I was the only one to show, or they left early. So instead of the Alpine Loop, I decided to ride by myself out around the lake.

I rode about a mile away from the bike shop before I realized I had forgotten my water bottles.

So I went back.

Then off again.

I started feeling like I shouldn't be out riding at all this morning. But I continued on.

As I reached my usual turn-around spot, I glaced down at my monitor. Wow! I've made it out here in record time! Wait...I drove my car halfway there before starting out on my bike. So not such a great time after all. I keep riding. I've still got two and a half hours to ride. I pass a town--the last town for miles. I manage to get myself onto the main road around the lake. It's a two-lane road with fast traffic. The white line on this road is pretty much painted on the gravel off to the side of the road.

So now I'm out in the middle of nowhere, on a scary road. I'd gotten myself somewhere I really had no business being all alone, and spent too much time fretting about it. So what do I do to pass the time? I think of all the horrible things that could happen to me. By this time, I'm quite convinced that every truck that passes me is either going to hit me and leave me there to die (since no one would be around to have seen it happen), or some man is going to seize the opportunity to grab me.

I keep riding, further and further away from where I want to be. I don't even know where this road is going to take me. All I know is that if I turn around now, my goal time will be cut short. I can see across the lake that something is on fire. Another fire. That makes, what, about 4 or 5 fires in the area in the last week or so. I can also see across the lake to a familiar route I've taken before. I'm so close to that route, and yet it's across the lake, and I still don't know where this road goes. Finally, I see a good place to pull my bike off the road. I call home and let Sling know where I am -- just in case he needs to come look for me. I really should keep riding South if I want to make my goal time.

I turn around. It is Independence Day, after all. I'm free to choose, even if it's a bad choice.

I'm heading back to my car and back home. Yeah!

Why am I cheering? I love riding my bike. But now everything hurts!

I make it back to the road where I should turn to go to my car.

I still have an hour to kill.

I don't turn. I decide to ride home instead. I can go pick my car up later, I guess. It is so hard not to go to my car! I continue on.

Things are starting to feel better. Endorphins must have kicked in.

Riding through the farm fields now, I can hear a train in the distance. The railroad crossing is about a half a mile ahead. I sprint. Now I'm racing a train! I don't make it. About 50 feet before the tracks the guard rails come down. Awww! Now I have to wait. But, it's not long. Just a four-car commuter train. I'm off again.

Looking over the field and the lake to the west, I can see where I had been riding on the scary road. Was I really that far away? It continues to amaze me how far one can go on a bike. I like the feeling of "Wow! I accomplished THAT?!"

I get to within two blocks of home. Do I go home? I want to so badly! But I've still got 20 minutes to kill. I head south again. Down into town, away from home, then round and back.

I'm home! I've made it. I eat and eat -- I'm starving! Stretching and a shower feels so good.

Looking at my stats for the day, I'm surprised. While I was out riding, I kept thinking about how I couldn't motivate myself much today. But, looking at my numbers, I did better than I expected. Nothing record breaking, but good.

I guess, mostly I feel impressed that I continued on with my ride, and made my goal time after I tried so hard to talk myself out of it so many times. I've gotta find someone else to ride with next time. I'm not sure I could motivate myself like that again.

0 comments: