Thursday, July 12, 2007

No pain, no gain, right?

I have a terrible feeling that I'm pushing it too hard on the bike lately. I hurt. My legs cry every time I have to go up or down the stairs.

I took Coach Girl with me this morning for a threshold training ride. She was nice today. Just rode next to me and reminded me why I was doing this to myself. I was surprised when she told me to back off on the gears, and that it was okay if backing off slowed me down. She knows my legs hurt. We rode out near the lake, and just about the time we were turning back, it started raining. Not a really hard rain, more of a sprinkle, but just enough to get wet. Good thing we turned back when we did, too. It really started downpouring once I got home. I don't care much for being pelted with cold drops of water while I'm riding. At least the rain might wash some of this gunk out of the air. That'll be good.

I was happy today because my descents are getting faster! On one steep descent, I actually passed Coach Girl! Neither of us were pedaling, both of us were tucked into an aero position. I've never passed her on a descent before. I'm usually pedaling like a fool just to keep up with her while she coasts. I wonder if the four pounds I gained overnight has anything to do with it?

And just where did that weight come from anyway? Your guess is as good as mine. It could be:
A) Water weight. I've been working hard to stay hydrated.
B) Fat. I've felt free to eat anything lately since I'm so hungry and since I had been losing weight.
C) Muscle. Could I really have gained that much muscle from the three strength rides I did on Monday & Tuesday? And is this why my legs hurt so much? I like this theory.
D) All of the above.

I've been staying up too late the last few days watching video tapes of the Tour de France. It's a great way to end the day. I like the anticipation of waiting the whole day to watch the Tour, and then snuggling up in bed and watching until I fall asleep (or at least until the tape runs out). I really wish Dave Z would stop burning himself out pulling the whole race. I hope he starts moving up soon. Go Dave!!!

0 comments: