Saturday, May 23, 2009

Sugar House Crit

The Sugar House Crit is by far my favorite race. I was super excited for this race today.

Twenty-one Cat 4 and masters women lined up for a 30 minute race.

I led out the start of the race.

Sugar House Park is so beautiful.

Our group stayed together for most of the race. I felt really, really good. Better than I've ever felt at this race. The hills didn't feel like hills and at some points I wondered why we were taking it so easy.

With three laps to go I noticed that we had dropped about half the field, and it finally felt like we had started racing. I later found out that our group had been doing lap times faster or comparable to some of the men's fields. And I thought we were riding nice. I'm still wondering what I did to feel so great today.

With two laps to go two ladies went off the front and nobody bothered to chase. I was sitting too far in the back to do it, and I didn't want to burn myself out trying. I was still sitting near the back, maybe even on the back of the lead group when we came around to the finish. I should have moved up sooner. We sprinted for the finish and I managed to pass a couple of girls. My teammate Shanna and I came across the line together, with me just an inch behind her. Good job outsprinting me, Shanna!



I had a lot of fun! My only regret is that I didn't hear the man in the brown plaid shirt yelling at me to move up. If he ever comes out to watch me race again I will listen. Oh, and a big thanks to the UVU guys for coming out and cheering me on!

0 comments: