Wednesday, May 27, 2009

Lesson Learned

I thought I loved SugarHouse. But it's kinda hard to love it after what I've been through the last couple of days.

After my race on Saturday, I hung out for the rest of the day officiating the afternoon races. At some point between racing and eating lunch I hit the park's restroom. I had to touch a huge bolt in order to close the stall door. I never like touching things in public restrooms, so I was already a little grossed out. After leaving the stall, I went to wash my hands. Guess what? No soap. No paper towels. Hands dripping wet, I considered grabbing some toilet paper to pull open the door handle to get out of the restroom. But I reconsidered since my hands were so wet, and the paper would have just stuck to my hands like a bad kindergarten art project. So I proceeded to touch the gross door handle as well.

Back at the race, I checked my bag for some Purel. None. I made a mental note to get more and include it in my official's bag as I grabbed the food I had brought for lunch. I tried to brush Tyson's icky blog out of my mind as I proceeded to eat my lunch. I consoled myself that I was just being silly because what were the chances that I would get sick...I rarely get sick. It couldn't happen to ME. At least I rinsed off my hands, right?

48 hours later, in the middle of lunch at Jason's Deli, it hit me. At first I thought it must just be one of my food allergies. But it lasted too long and was too severe for that. Two days later, I'm still suffering from it a little bit.

Luckily the sickness waited until I was done with my fabulous Memorial Day ride. But I spent the rest of the holiday and the next day in serious pain.

The lesson to be learned here: always keep some hand sanitizer handy.

0 comments: