Sunday, May 10, 2009

A Comedy of Errors

Instead of racing the State Champion Crit race yesterday, Dawn and I decided to go for a bike ride.

Pretty much everything went wrong.

  • When I got my bike off the rack, it had a rear flat tire. Too much glass on the crit course on Thursday evening I guess. I opted to change the wheel instead of using my last tube. This meant I had to change my brake pads too. No big deal. It was quicker than changing the tube anyway.
  • When I went to put the new wheel on, it got lodged in the chain somehow. I had to beat on it to get it to come loose, only to discover that I had knocked the chain off too. The chain hadn't come off in a nice way, and it took a lot of effort and frustration to get the stupid thing back on again. I was beginning to think maybe I should call the ride off.
  • Since the ride was starting 20 miles from my house, I loaded Rio into the trunk of my car and drove to the freeway. I was 10 minutes from my house when I realized I had forgotten to bring my bike shoes. Since I was already running late I didn't go back for them.
  • As I was unloading my bike from the trunk I dropped my Garmin on the pavement. It still works, but I can no longer see the screen.
  • Even though I had written out a ride route cue sheet, we still got lost. At some point we found the Jordon River Parkway trail, so we decided to follow it...right to a major construction project. We navigated around, and managed to find our way to our destination of Saratoga Springs.



  • After the ride I managed to curb my car's wheels. I hate that.
  • I also redamaged my right shoulder. It's never really had a chance to heal from my wreck and now it's angry again.
  • To make matters worse, I cracked a newly decorated birthday cake right down the middle of the cake.
I guess things could have been worse, but it sure seemed like everything was conspiring against me yesterday.

1 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow! You kind of pile it all in one day, don't you? I am glad you see you made it through the night :) May today be better.

Hilslug