Tuesday, January 13, 2009

The Elusive 38s

I've been looking for some new handlebars. Mine are too wide. Now is a good time to get some new ones - there's still plenty of time for me to get used to new, narrower bars before race season starts back up. I've checked with several bike shops only to discover that 38 cm handlebars are a rare commodity. I thought I had found a shop that had them, but alas, they were the wrong diameter. So, the search continues.

Anyhoo, it was a beautiful day for cross-country skiing. I climbed Jerry's Lunch today. I know, it sounds funny. I have no idea why they named it that, but it is a monster climb. I was sure I was going to fall backward down the mountain at any moment. But I made it to the top. Here is a picture that I was hoping would show how steep it was. Turns out the picture looks totally flat. But trust me, it's steep.

After the Jerry's Lunch climb I crossed Middle Earth which really seems like you're at the top of the world. Sundance is such a pretty place!

My goal of the day, beside getting great workout, was to go faster then 7.5 mph. I managed to let myself relax enough to pick my max speed up to 8.5 mph. Yay! I love it when I make my goals!

6 comments:

Bearonabike said...

Sounds fun even though your in the snow on a trail named after someones lunch. I used to do that with my two Huskies pulling me. On another note, since your in the bike scene, If you know anyone looking for a road frame i have a 58 Specialized S-works E5 unbuilt never ridden $400 obo. I will not use it since I am focusing on Tris this year.

Rio's Rider said...

I'll keep it in mind. As a Spinning instructor, people often tell me that they're looking for bikes.

Downhilldiva said...

Tuesday for sure! I've already told everyone here at work that I'm sick that day. Kara is coming too.

Rio's Rider said...

Yay! Call me and we'll finalize plans.

Dave and Alisha said...

Kris-
Any luck with the handlebar search. 38's are hard to come by. I ordered a new bike and had to special order a 38 handlebar for it. I guess most bike shops don't think that small women ride bikes or something like that.
That Jeremy's lunch trail looks awesome, where is it?

Rio's Rider said...

You're right, Alisha. I was at yet another bike shop today, and I still can't find those darned bars! One of the guys there was commenting on how "cute" the small bike stuff is, so I guess they don't want to stock "cute."

Jerry's Lunch = Sundance.