Saturday, May 31, 2008

The Happy Valley Time Trial

See how happy I am. Note that I haven't left the start line yet. The start line is where the happiness ended.

So, I stink at time trials. Surprise, surprise.

Actually, I'm more disappointed about other stuff that happened today than my lack of speed. Those of you who were out there with me today know what I'm talking about. I just hope that I can channel my anger and disappointment in a positive way and use that energy to go out and kick some butt. Someday.

Anyway, about the race. I was really surprised at how much harder it was for me after the turn around. When I pre-rode the coarse on Tuesday I thought that the going and the coming back were similar in effort. Not today. I really lost focus on the way back. At around mile 20 I was starting to feel all weird. I grabbed some gel and lost some more focus. The last four plus miles were tough.

After the race, I came home and changed into my Pink Fatty jersey, then rode to the fitness center where I helped do a bike clinic to teach people how to do stuff like change a flat and put their chains back on. I rode a little way with the group before I decided I had too much stuff I needed to be doing back home. It was a good thing I headed home when I did: both my dad and my in-laws showed up to visit the very moment I pulled onto the lawn.

In other news: apparently I'm a stalker. I guess I've gotta stop being friendly at the races.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Sorry to hear you had a rough day out there. Hope the night was better.

BTW, I don't really think you're a stalker anymore than I'm one ;)

Thanks for the pics. I'll post one of them tomorrow.

TTs are tough. My first TTs hurt pretty bad and my results were anything but good. For you to jump into this fire with a 40k was brave. That's a long haul for just one person against the clock. If you ever get the urge to do one again, chose a shorter race like Saltair which is only 10k and the suffering is not so long and much more bearable.

Hope you weekend improves.

Downhilldiva said...

I was going to talk to you about the stalking. . . just kidding! It was probably the other way around. I was hoping we could pull you away to come hang with your teammates for a good gripe session yesterday.

Since our times were similar maybe next time there's a TT you and I should save our money and just enjoy a ride together where we can ogle the antelope all we want. I guess I can't complain too much, I did get first ;).