Thursday, May 29, 2008

What am I Thinking? WHAT AM I THINKING!?!

Hell. Here I sit, hovering over the "register" button for the Happy Valley Time Trial. Why am I even debating doing this race? I would have so much more fun doing something else on Saturday. Anything else. Really. Someone suggest something. Hurry.

So why am I registering for this race?
1) I promised to drive my friend to the race. If am driving way out to the middle of nowhere, I may as well race while I'm there.
2) I've raced every other race in May, so why not this one too?
3) It's on my schedule of things to do this week, and I hate not to cross things off my list.
4) I am a glutton for punishment.
5) I'm beginning to think that I secretly enjoy getting my butt kicked every weekend.

None of those seem like very good reasons compared to my list of reasons NOT to race this Saturday:
1) I have absolutely NO time trial equipment. Nope, not even aerobars.
2) I already hurt and don't even want to imagine how much I'm going to hurt during/after the race. I'm already regretting my decision not to go to the chiropractor yesterday.
3) I don't want to. Really, I don't.

But, I will race. It will be good for me. I'll gain some experience, burn some calories, enjoy the sunshine.

Ok, here goes...I'm pushing the "register" button.

7 comments:

Unknown said...

good girl.

If I can't get my bike fixed, you can ride it and fit pretty well.

Think of it as a spin class with nothing but death metal music. 1 hour of pounding until you collapse.

Downhilldiva said...

I'll be out there suffering too! Just think of the great training!

Anonymous said...

Go to "Play It Again Sports" or somesuch and pick up some aerobars.
Bam, you just took a minute off your time.

Rio's Rider said...

JE, I think I did that class yesterday.

DHD, yes, yes, that's what I'm thinking.

Turbo, you really think I can learn to use aerobars on the fly? I've thought about getting some, but figured it was too late.

Hey, that reminds me of another good reason to be out there tomorrow: I've gotta see what all the fuss about Turbo's ass is all about. ;)

Downhilldiva said...

Yes, you can do aerobars on the fly. You just get in them. You have to do it sometime so why not at a race? It is much more comfortable than riding in your drops for 26 miles (and faster!)

Unknown said...

I agree. Buy some inexpensive aero bars, clamp them on and go for a practice ride tonight to get used to the feel.

since the course is straight, there's no problem to be had with turns and technical stuff.

Just get low and go.

And if you can borrow a helmet from someone -- ask around the club or among your tri geek friends -- you'll maybe chop another minute off the time.

I made an impulse buy on a used disc wheel yesterday and if the boys and Canyon can squeeze it int their schedule to mount a tubular for me I might be primed for a first-ever podium. Having to beat only 10 guys helps. And while I'm not great, I seem to be getting better at this TT thing everytime I ride.

Rio's Rider said...

Well, after reading all your comments, I started to panic.

I ran from shop to shop looking for aerobars. Apparently aerobars are in high demand around here right now, and there weren't any available.

FYI - Play It Again in Orem doesn't even carry bike stuff. Just a cute sales guy who was very interested in everything I had to say about bikes.

Anyway, I ended up calling Coachy Man , who basically told me to relax, and that it probably is too late to try to learn to use them by tomorrow. It would be too much of a distraction at this point.

So there.