Saturday, April 19, 2008

Tax Day Circuit Race

Something went horribly wrong today.

But, before I get into that, here I am at the start line with BG. I was feeling really good, calm, and ready to race at this point.




The race started with BG and I leading out. The first mile and a half-ish of the race was neutral roll out. We were following Sam Kreig's car at 13 mph to the end of the neutral roll out. Sam had his music turned up loud, and I was quite enjoying myself. Once Sam pulled off the course BG and I picked the speed up to 22.5 mph. I decided I was done pulling and tried to pull off, but nobody would take the pull. Finally, Jamie and Jillian came around, but only for a little while. I was up front again. I tried to pull off again, but once again, nobody would come up. Next thing I knew, Jillian was off the front, driving the pace, Jamie was chasing her down, and everyone was passing me. I thought, "finally, I'm going to get a draft!" But for some reason, I couldn't hang on to the group, and I was dropped. I soloed it to the top of the climb, but I could feel that something was terribly wrong. I did not have any strength. I never use my granny gear, but I did today, and it felt especially difficult. As I got to the top of the climb, Clint was in the road taking my picture. He looked really surprised when I stopped my bike. Everyone starred at me.

This is BG, who made it to the top of the climb ahead of me.


Here I am ready to quit.


I told Sling I was done. I took off all my gear and threw it in the trunk. Then I started getting mad at myself and pitched a little tantrum. I wasted about 5+ minutes fighting with myself. I finally decided I would rather finish last than not finish at all. I remembered that BG once told me what one of the guys (sorry, I don't remember which) says, "Pain is temporary, quitting is forever." I put my stuff back on and finished the race.



The climb was horrible, all three times. I'd forgotten how bad it was. I wanted so bad to get off and walk. But, I didn't. And I wanted to puke. I didn't do that either. But, I've felt sick, weak, and shaky all day since. Weird.

I am glad I finished the race. I hope I can figure out what's up with my body. Yes, I know what you're thinking, and, no, I am not pregnant! (Although, I do look rather fat in these pictures.)

Three cheers to my awesome teammates, Jamie and Breanne, for taking 1st and 2nd place! You ladies ROCK!

3 comments:

Downhilldiva said...

I'm sorry you had a bad day :( Good for you for finishing though. It is true, it sucks to see a DNF on your standings.

Also, I don't think it is possible for you to look fat. You'll be back to kicking my butt up the hills in no time!

crazy4rammstein said...

WOW! Your report is exactly what I felt the whole race too. Go ahead and read what I wrote about it on my blog. I hurt. I wanted to walk on the climb too. My legs were just jacked up! I think the TT I hammered out Thursday may have put more fatigue into me than I thought.

I told Shanna that had I seen when you popped off, I would have tried to get you back up or TTd with you the rest of the way. It was just a workout for me (even though I am still beating myself up for not doing "better.") I need to get over myself and stop being so self-centered! I am just happy as hell you showed up. I wish I had gotten to see you/talk to you after you finished. I wanted to ride down with you but I stayed up there to watch the 1/2/3 ladies finish. It seemed to me you that you may have had a day like I did at Sanpete last year. Remember when I was so upset I wanted to explode then you came over and chatted me up and I felt instantly better?

Anyways, I love you for making me look/seem/appear so much better than I am! I wish I had a man out there to take my photos! See you at East Canyon?

Rio's Rider said...

Thanks for helping me feel better, ladies!

Little did I know yesterday that I would have the stomach flu today. No wonder I couldn't perform. Bleh!

I didn't get signed up for East Canyon in time. Good luck!