Saturday, January 19, 2008

VO2max Test

Today I got my reward for participating in the U of U study: a VO2max test. What fun!



The test really isn't so bad once you get over the feeling that you're being suffocated. The test started with me doing about 25 watts (? I can't remember, but something really low). Every minute the computrainer would increase the wattage by 25 watts. I think I got up to about 250 watts before my cadence started slowing down. I really feel like I could have gone a little longer, but they stopped the test once my cadence slowed down from about 86 RPM to 73 RPM. I never really felt like I was making a huge effort, and the test went really quickly. So other than looking really stupid with a tube coming out of my mouth, it wasn't so bad.



My car knows the routine on the way home from SLC: get off on the 123rd South exit and drive to Canyon Bicycles. I felt the need to go stroke the SL2. But I ran into a problem once I got there: no SL2 to stroke. Sure, there was one hanging from the ceiling too high for me to reach, but not one in my size. I guess that's okay. Touching it would just make me want it more. Must...resist...temptation!

4 comments:

Unknown said...

I know the feeling about the VO2 test.

I did one a few months ago with Max Testa at TOSH and was a little annoyed when they stopped it and I didn't feel like I was pushing it at all. I felt there was plenty of gas left in my tank and they weren't trying to tap it.

Sure enough, my 'power at vent. threshold' was only 250. I'm not sure if that's good or bad.

But I've used some of the info to adjust my training, gave the reports to Marci for the triathlon training program she's got me started on and we'll see how it goes from there.

Maybe she's just flattering me, but she looked at the numbers and told me I should be competitive in races and not just participating in them.

Soooo ...

I expect to be put through the ringers for the next six weeks.

Rio's Rider said...

A 250 watt VT sounds good to me. No wonder Marci's taken you on. Let me know how it goes.

Unknown said...

You doing the Ice Breaker Tri on March 29?

I'm debating whether or not to jump in for that one.

I can do it, just not sure if I want to.

Rio's Rider said...

No Ice Breaker for me. I'm pretty road-bike specific. I tried swimming a few times, but I'm pretty sure I'd drown if I was racing (or a least get in the way of a lot of people). And running's not really an option with my knees.

I have some friends who are planning on the Ice Breaker, I believe.

If doing tris is what you really want to do, do the Ice Breaker! You'll regret the opportunity lost if you don't. Better to jump in and do it then feel guilt and remorse later, I say.