Saturday, January 5, 2008

Playing in the Snow

After teaching a hard interval class this morning, and even though it was snowing really hard, I still had the hankering to go skiing.

The road to Sundance wasn't too bad,




but the road to the Nordic Center was pretty snowpacked.








Sundance had gotten hit with about ten inches of fresh powder this morning.
Once I got to the Nordic I discovered that the trail-groomer machine was broken, so none of the trails had been groomed all day. This made for some interested xc skiing. It's a bit more of a workout when you're plowing your own trail.
About a quarter of the way up the trail my goggles got all fogged up, so I put them up on my forehead. I became quite snowblind without the goggles on. I hit a bumpy patch I didn't see and went down. Flat on my back.





You can't really tell from the picture below how deep the snow was. And this wasn't even the deepest part. Once I got off the main trail and got a little higher on the mountain, the snow really got deep. I tried to get a better picture, but my camera battery had died.

After skiing for about an hour my ankle started really hurting. Toward the end of the run I could hardly move my left leg. I came home and took my sock off to discover a dime-sized
blister that had broken open. It hurts even more now that I've seen it.

Regardless of falling down and getting a big blister, I had a fun day.

0 comments: