Friday, November 9, 2007

Why You Should Wash Your Bike...

...or only drink water.

I made it out for a late-afternoon ride today. Shortly after saddling up, I discovered that I couldn't shift into my big chain ring. Humm...should I ride to the bike shop? Something is really wrong!

I rode into Provo, all the while grumbling about the easy pedaling. Had to make it a quick ride since the sun was starting to go down and a chill was beginning.

When I got back home, I complained to Sling that my bike wouldn't shift. He took one look at it, flipped it over, and poured hot water over it.

"There. You can shift your bike now."

Apparently, all that Gatorade I've been drinking (and obviously dripping) had hardened onto the bottom of my bike, and had glued the cables solid.

I promise to take better care of Rio in the future.

2 comments:

crazy4rammstein said...

This has TOTALLY happened to me before! I was so embarrased. It was when I met my VMG guys for that ride up Bald Mountain. I couldn't shift and was so confused. Then, Patrick turned my bike over and saw crusted white crap holding the cables together. He got a toothbrush and water then lube. God I felt like such a dumbass. :)

Rio's Rider said...

Sorry you had to go through that too. But I'm also glad I'm not the only one. :-)