Wednesday, October 14, 2009

Nothing Much to Report

I don't really have much to report, but I guess since I've been put on top of the official Turbo blogroll, I should blog something.

Thankfully, I have no new accidents to report.

Last Sunday, I got back on my bike again for the first time in six weeks. Strangely, it was like learning to ride all over again. As I started off down the driveway and into the street I was literally screaming, "I don't think this is a good idea!" and "This is going to hurt." and "I've forgotten how to clip in." But mostly just a lot of "AAAAaaaaa!!! I'm gonna die!" My thumb didn't even fall off like I was expecting it to.

That lasted about all of about two blocks, then I was okay. Except that I couldn't brake with my right hand. I have lost grip strength. I am going to hand therapy every week now, and I have noticed a huge improvement already.

Off topic paragraph: It didn't take me very long to train myself to not use my thumb. It still takes me some serious concentration to do things like hold a comb or a pencil or zip a zipper normally, or use the space bar on the keyboard with my thumb. But, my thumb is beginning to be a part of my body again.

Back to the ride: at one point I decided to see if I could max out one of those speed clocks the police put out to control driver's speed. I ramped it up to 29 mph before it occurred to me that I couldn't easily stop with just my front brake (remember... my previous accident was an endo - I didn't really want a repeat of that one). Panic! But I got it slowed down just fine. I really need to give myself more credit. I'm pretty sure I have better skillz than I dare to admit. I've just been living high anxiety for the last six week - I'm in protective mode from all my accidents.

I'm excited to go out for a lunch ride with a group of friends tomorrow. I hope this rain clears out by then.

In other news, there is NO relation between me and the sandbagger who raced 'cross last week. Okay there is, but (hopefully) I've convinced her not to pull any more of that crap in the future. I'm hoping to make a showing at the later races this weekend after I kick some indoor cycling butt in the morning. I love being at the races, even though it's hard for me to watch and not participate.

That's all for now. Ride hard!

0 comments: