Wednesday, March 26, 2008

It Took This Ride to Bring Me Back

I'm excited about riding again! It took several near death experiences on the road today to make me realize that I'm going to be okay, and that I can trust myself on the bike again.

Highlights of the ride:

  • Just as I started going full tilt into a sprint, some guy decides to pull in front of me and hit the brakes.
  • As I was heading into a fast descent, a city bus pulls over, the car in front of me goes to go around, I follow, and a car pulls out in front of us. More locking up of brakes. Ruined my fast descent. But, it showed me that I do have skills when it comes to saving myself in an instant.
  • Coming out of the descent an older guy wearing calf-high white socks is weaving all over the road in front of me. I announced my presence as I pass. He decided that I was some good company, so he chased me down. The first word out of his mouth are, "I'm 75!" "Wow!" I say, "You're sure looking good out here." Then he proceeds to tell me that he's from California and that he's done several centuries and doubles. About that time I realize I'm supposed to be sprinting again. So I take off and drop him.
  • Down by Utah Lake I decided to take the bike path because it's smoother than the road and there's never anyone on it anyway. Almost to the end of the path, as I'm watching the birds out on the lake, I look up and there's a bike in my lane heading right at me. It's the old guy again (he'd gone a different way). He's got a huge grin on his face and he's waving at me. He pulled into his own lane after I acknowledged him, at the last second.
  • I drafted off a semi. Not intentionally. He pulled in front of me and I couldn't get around him. If I could have gotten around him, it would have been better. He was only doing around 15 mph and I was caught in his draft, just coasting along. If I tried to pedal I would get too close, and I didn't really want to do a face plant into the back of him if he hit the brakes.
  • Since I had ridden down to the lake, the only way back home was up. Normally this wouldn't bother me, but I was supposed to be in zone1-2. I tried to climb 2000 North in Orem aerobically, but if I had gone any slower, I would have tipped over.
At any rate, I am feeling much more confident with riding after today. It feels good.

1 comments:

Anonymous said...

nice. i often find myself wishing the jordan river trail was a little smoother, straighter and less populated by moms and jogging strollers.

I'll be rolling in A.F. Sat morning for the tri, then maybe hitting the crit if I'm feeling up to it and not completely frozen from riding and running after the swim on a 40-degree morning.