Tuesday, August 18, 2009

Tour of Utah Prologue

I had a blast volunteering the Tour of Utah Prologue today! I was supposed to be working the Hospitality tent (which is my favorite job anyway), but I was pulled out to do a different job.

Basically, they put me on the start line to call rider's numbers, over the walkie talkie, to the announcers at the finish line. I'm not quite sure what the purpose of doing this was for, but I wasn't going to complain. It was a lot of fun to be right on the start line among all the racers!

I took some pictures as I had the chance:

I was a little slow on the draw when Floyd Landis went out. He's already a way down the road.


#23 Daniel Holt from Team Type 1 (I get such a kick out of this photo...click on it to make it big and you'll see why)


Yeah! Go Sleevie! (Sorry I missed getting a start photo.)

Team Type 1 is one of my favorite teams. My favorite rider, Jesse Anthony rides for TT1, but he has had mono, so he was unable to be here this year. Get better quick, Jesse! 'Cross season's comin'! I tried to get pictures of all the TT1 riders, but I lost track of which riders were which.
This is another from Team Type 1 (possibly Ian MacGregor).


A couple more TT1 riders.


Local favorite, and my former teammate, Chase Pinkham (Go Chase!) and David Clinger lined up at the start line.


Chase on the start ramp


Clinger on the start ramp


I'm pretty sure this is Oscar Sevilla


Darren Lill from Team Type 1 waiting for his start time.


Lill on the starting ramp.



Dave Zabriskie's turn on the starting ramp.


Last rider out, Jeff Louder


One of the Trek-LIVESTRONG riders.


I believe this is Oscar Sevilla coming into the finish.


Probably Tom Zirbel


Darren Lill coming in for the finish.



Dave Z. coming in for a second place finish, which also earned him the title of Best Utah Rider.


Jeff Louder coming in to finish.

After the race, I went back to the hospitality tent and hung around, cleaning up a little here and there, but mostly playing the part of adoring fan:

Me and Dave Z. in his Best Utah Rider jersey.


Me and Bob Roll, the announcer for the Tour of Utah.

I'm up for more volunteer duty for Thursday's stage. I don't expect it to be as much fun. I'm driving a van full of volunteers. I've never driven a van before...how did I get this job?

0 comments: