Sunday, July 26, 2009

Chalk Creek Race Report

I love the Chalk Creek race. Every year I do it, I like it a little better.

The masters women field was twice the size of the Cat 4 women's field this year. Unusual, but cool. And not surprising since it was the Master Championship race. I've always wondered why more women didn't race masters for this race. Well, this year they finally did. Anyway, I raced Cat 4, because I wasn't going to make the mistake of racing with the master's again and missing out on potential ranking points. I made that mistake two years ago.

At the start line, three of the women announced that it was their first race ever. It always worries me when I hear that because I remember what a sketchy rider I was for my first few races. I was also a little worried because my experience has been to never underestimate the strength of newbies to the race scene. And these ladies looked young and fit. I figured I was in for a good, hard buttkicking.


After the start, we all rode together until the first big climb.
Then I attacked the climb and dropped almost half the field.

Three of us rode off the front for nearly half the race until another one of the longer climbs where the leader, Kandace, slowly pulled away from from us.

I rode with a girl named Megan for most of the rest of the race. She was pretty strong and I was having a hard time dropping her. Every time I would manage to get around her, she would come back around again. So about 12 miles to the finish I hatched a plan.

Yes, it's a secret plan.

No, I'm not going to tell you what it was.

Anyway, at 1K to go, just as the last climb starts, I implemented my plan, and came across the line in second place.

Here I am getting my award:
Thank you, thank you very much! I look like I think I've won the van or something!
Here I am with Kandace, the winner of the race. She's tough! She really should be racing with the 1/2/3s, but doesn't race enough to upgrade.
In case you're wondering... the paper bag is part of my prize. It contained some snacks and a gift certificate to Jason's Deli. Yum!

0 comments: